Sunday, July 15, 2012
Fish. It's What's for Dinner. Oh, and Sriracha.
David and I are not huge red meat people. Not that we don't enjoy a fine steak from time to time, but in general we prefer chicken, pork, and you guessed it - fish. From salmon to rock cod to mahi, we don't discriminate on our flavorful finned friends. Tilapia is what happened to be on sale at the grocery, so I picked some up to have for dinner this past Friday night. Long story short - I have found the best marinade for fish. I usually do it with salmon, but it works well with any fish, and I think it would be great for chicken too. Best part is that it's easy to make, and mostly uses things you already have in your pantry. You can control the heat/spicy as well. And so it shall be called...drum roll please...the
Spectacular Sriracha Sauce!
Here's the general recipe that I based my marinade on: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/salmon-with-brown-sugar-and-mustard-glaze-recipe/index.html (thanks Bobby Flay)
Here are my notes: I used regular brown sugar and only two tablespoons (it's what I had in my pantry and I didn't want it to be too sweet); I left out the ginger because I didn't have it in my pantry; I didn't use this for 8 fillets, I just use it for whatever I have; I also left out the butter (shocking, I know); But the biggest addition is the Sriracha or spicy chili-garlic sauce that you find in the asian cooking aisle - it works wonderfully and adds the perfect heat. Just add however much you like. I usually add at least two tablespoons.
The thing that I love most about this marinade (besides it's awesome flavor) is its ease and convenience. I put the fish down in a shallow baking dish, then pour the marinade on top of it and let it sit for a while... really however long I have before I start cooking. If it's going to be a few hours, then stick it in the fridge. If it's only going to be an hour or 90 minutes, leave it sitting on your counter. Remember - a key to well-cooked and tasty meat (any kind) is that it needs to be at room temperature before you start the cooking process.
Other deliciousness on the plate: Green beans and mushrooms roasted with olive oil (1.5T) and balsamic vinegar (1T) and then topped with shredded parmesan when they are fresh from the oven. And tomatoes roasted with a little pesto and parmesan (you really just want to melt the cheese and warm the tomatoes/pesto through - you don't want the tomato to be runny).
Overall, a moderately healthy meal. Well, if you don't count the irresistible garlic bread :)
-K
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment