Monday, July 16, 2012

Parade of Pastries, Part Deux



Introducing.... the product of the second round of Kendall vs. Pastries..... the delectable, two-bite sensation, so-good-you-want-to-hide-them-all morsels, Strawberry Tiramisu Trifles! 


Unlike the part one adventure involving the scones, there was no moments of panic when working on these treats. In fact, it was the perfect relaxing activity for an hour on a low-key Sunday afternoon. Here's the basic Paula Deen recipe that I used: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/strawberry-tiramisu-bites-recipe/index.html

My Notes:

  •  Instead of sweet tart shells, I used the mini filo shells that are pre-made in the freezer section (they will be close to the puff pastry).
  •  I substituted triple berry preserves in place of the strawberry, and vanilla extract in place of the lemon, since that's what I had in my pantry. I'm all about using what you have when it will work just the same. I did a smaller wedge of strawberry instead of a half - I didn't want the shells to be overwhelmed with the strawberry. 
  • I also added chocolate shavings to the top ( 1 small dove chocolate + a grater or microplane = shavings)


The next time, I would change at least one thing. While these are very tasty, I would like them to have a little more of the traditional tiramisu/coffee-ish flavor. The ideas that I'm working with right now include adding the instant coffee powder to the mixture, or perhaps incorporating the chocolate-covered espresso beans into the topping.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment