Thursday, July 12, 2012

Parade of Pastries, Part 1

I've had a lot of time lately to focus on cooking and baking - which is one of my passions. I love to try new things and see what happens, especially in the kitchen. Admittedly, I think I am a better cook than I am baker, but I have several recipes laid out for the next week or so that should help balance out my skills and expand my repertoire. Last night was a victory over a basic pastry: Lemon Blueberry Scones! Yes, I did indeed make a true scone. Glazed and golden outside, moist and delicious inside. There was a span of fear for about 3-5 minutes when I didn't know if the dough would come together, and I wondered "What the heck am I doing? I don't know what I'm doing!!" After wrangling the dough (I really mean kneading, but I think it looked more like wrangling as puffs of flour flew in many directions) and baking the wedges up, I was surprised with how well they turned out! I was sure I would end up with a heap of mess from the oven, but David even came from the back of the house to tell me how good they smelled! The verdict: they tasted equally as good. Yum.
Notes for next time: Add more lemon... maybe even in the batter, or use the glaze both before and after baking. These would work well with a mix of berries. Also, I need a pastry cutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment